Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Beware of Computer Scams

On Yahoo, they listed the top 5 computer scams. Here is my short version:

1. Auction Fraud: Selling something on Ebay (for example) and then either not sending you the item or sending you a 'knock off.'

2. Phising Scams: Beware of email from Ebay or Pay Pal (not really from them), or something similar saying your account will be deleted unless you go to their link and reactivate. Make sure you go to the website yourself, NOT through the link included if you are concerned. These scams get your personal info. and then sell it to other scammers. BEWARE.

3. The Nigerian 419 Letter: Usually in capitals screaming about an money transfer. The only thing you're gaining is NOTHING, and thousands taken from you accounts. Apparently people have fallen for this, have flown to different countries and were 'held' until they 'payed up' and/or their money was stolen from their accounts.

4. Postal Fowarding/ Reshipping Scam: Off shore accounts asking for wire transfers. They are really a set up to get your credit card info.

5. Congrats, you have won....: They set these up to get your personal information to pay for shipping charges, and then your account ends up getting scammed. You usually will not get the item won, or will get a worthless piece of junk.


Tips:
  • Always go to the website yourself to check the problem you supposedly have, rarely they are real. Do not take the links included in the emails.
  • Try www.snopes.com
  • If the web address in which you are typing personal info is secure, it should have a lock icon on the bottom screen and https:// in the title.
  • Always check the address to see if they are legit, ie. citibank.com is NOT the same as citibank-misc.com. (Not everyone checks, but that one seems obvious).
  • When in doubt, delete the email, call your account representatives, dispute any problems that mysteriously occur.
  • People can fake the 'From address,' so don't trust it as proof it's really from such and such company.
Some of this stuff is obvious to most of us, but it's a chance that I might have fallen prey to a phising scam about a Pay Pal account. I also got one through eBay, but I went to the the sites myself to check them out.

On another note, make sure you have your wireless connections firewalled. My roomie's computer connection was hacked the day I installed it, because I didn't know how to put in the right settings yet. Her uncle came by and on his lap top could show how many people near my house had an open wireless router!! He said people can get into your computers this way, and even connect to the internet through you!

2 comments:

jamin said...

Good tips. I'd also add that you should never enter your password, credit card info, etc. on a website that you get an email from. This is how phishing scams work. A real bank or company like paypal will not email you asking you to "update your credit card info." And for God's sake, people, please use Firefox instead of Internet Explorer. And if you already use Firefox make sure you've updated to the latest version and stay up to date.

Muse said...

Here's another reason to be careful! I just found out after writing this blog that one of my credit cards had a fradulent charge on it, that luckily my company caught and denied! I went ahead and signed up for a credit protection plan for a month to check my credit report and make sure my accounts are in check. I have no clue how this happened, being that I hadn't even used the card in a year. I guess that's how they figured it out :)