Monday, January 31, 2005

How quicky the tide changes in life

I think it is absolutely amazing how I felt completely wiped out yesterday, and whamo I'm back in the game teaching up instruments and singing, whoo hoo! Teaching today was really good, somehow I learned some new classroom management techniques it's called: patience (wating/demanding attention/respect without words) and putting the responsibility on the students to learn. It worked wonders. I forgot that in hs I had certain 'tricks' to get students to pay attention without me having to yell or jump through hoops etc, but those just really didn't apply to elementary kiddos. Today I discovered (yes, on my own, but I found out another teacher does it) a new plan. Before I was sick I would talk over the kids, perhaps gave them too many warnings before I put their name on the board, I even tried putting up a star (10 stars gets them a party) and I would erase a piece everytime I had to say quiet (3 pieces gone, no star, this gives class responsiblity in addition to individual responsibility) and I started to say 3,2,1 expecting quiet at '1'.

Well, it took a while but I was still having to use my voice (any way I can use my voice less, but still get the job done is good for a music teacher) and they only sort of 'got it.' So today I think, I'm not going to say a word and do this with my hands (everyone is familiar with the 'bunny ears' listening sign) 3, 2, 1. Some kids understood right away, one class even said their teacher does the same thing (I have discovered that using a certain classroom teachers' methods with her students works wonders because they are used to it. Somehow I 'magically' discover these just by observing and listening to the students) Voila, success. I don't have to clap, I don't have to bang on an instrument, I expect them to pay attention and look up at me. Until they get it exactly I might say the number 3 but that's it. My last class of the day was miraculous, at the number 3, they were silent. Ahhh.

See, all the students are so eager to learn, especially when we are doing instruments, that they forget to raise their hands. They are all trying to ask me stuff at the same time, some need individual help etc. The only way I can help students is if we work together (cooperative learning) as a team. Music is a team 'sport'! You need to start together, play together, and end together. You are only as good as the weakest player (in an ensemble). This even applies to the elementary kiddos.

At lunch time I was exhausted! I get sooo into what I'm doing that I really do not realize how much energy that I'm using. I'm making three hundred decisions a second, changing original plans around to fit the needs of the students, listening to them play with accurate rhythms, watching them for using the right techniques, AND playing piano or whatever technique I utilize for that lesson to keep the beat ALL at the same time. No wonder I'm like the super multi-tasker. God was right to put me in this position. I've always been an over achiever, I try to be one step ahead of the game (prepared), and I am insistent on "knowing my stuff' and figuring out ways to convey that 'stuff' to all different kinds of students from various walks of life and experiences. Cool, I never saw my job that way until I wrote it down :) So after lunch, I'm reengergized and I continue with the lessons until it's time to go.

Well I made some calls, and my coat has been found, for those of you 'really worried about it.' I took care of 'the small stuff' which can be big if it's not taken care of, and finally went home. When I arrived home, I sipped a tomato soup dinner, and proceeded to dig right in to the DLT. Since I was going to choir in an hour and half, I wanted to make sure I would still have my devotion for the day. Apparently I made plans to do one section a week. Turns out I finished one section in an hour and a half. This first section was pretty simple for me, because I actually had already reached some of the beginning 'challenges' of my growth in Christ. I was amazed at how much I remembered from my K-12 Catholic school days and other church experiences. It actually made me feel like maybe I'm not the worst 'Christian in the world after all' (in a manner of speaking). I did learn some new things, and realized some things I need to change. So I hope I continue my 'plan of action.'

So I drive to choir thinking, man I hope my voice holds up. I just got it back, and I don't want to over do it etc. In the beginning of rehearsal, I really could have used more warming up (esp. in the higher range), but it was all good. I attempted to sing mezzo-vocce, at first but was slightly unsucessful until I realized I was trying to 'hear myself' over the person next to me. Once I 'gave in' to what I know to be correct techniques (and not to base everything on what I hear), my breath support improved and my voice was much happier.

I think being in this choir will be good for me, I just really need to sit next to someone who is not so overpowering that I feel like I'm not even there. There is nothing wrong with having that kind of 'opera-like' talent, but my talent seems to be that I can easily blend in and be a nice, warm supportive lyric soprano voice for the choir. So I like to blend with people who compliment me, instead of overpowing me to the point of extinction. Plus, I would like to be more independant rather than sometimes using another to lean on, when I'm unsure of the notes.

Anyway, the director asked me if I wanted to join in on the singing of the 'high B/C' in one of the songs. I instantly shake my head no (no, I'm not a Soprano says my once Alto I in high school voice), and I was left alone. Besides, the 3 people who sang it are more than enough power to carry the note, so much that you can barely hear the 2nd part of the 1st sops in that section. Ok so I'm not going to bore you anymore with choir stuff. I'm just super happy that my voice 'made-it,' and I really wasn't even as vocally tired as the 2 Mondays before (probably because I WAS SICK, in addition to 'dusting out the cobwebs'). I learned today to get my breath support going, even if that means I'm so hungry my stomach is mad at me for supporting so much. Too bad, I'm singing these notes, and I'm going to sing them with correct technique darn it!

I'm just pumped. I'm sure you can tell by my incessant writing. Well I know tommorow for sure if my voice 'handled it.' This vocal athlete is trying her best to get 'back into shape.' I've been so busy teaching music, I haven't had time to 'sing for myself' in almost 4 years! Wish me luck in my future endeavors, plan to see me at a concert if you like, and pray for my continued aspirations to be a better person and a better Christian.

No comments: