Wednesday, August 17, 2005

It's Official!

Back to school time officially started today. My day went pretty well, very fast. I couldn't believe how fast the classes went. Somehow a game, some procedure practice, and review about rules, consequences, rewards, and "parties" seemed to be 40 minutes. I must have been going light speed last year or didn't write in my last year's plans how long it took to go through everything.

Oddly, my first day of school was the first day of traveling as a teacher. It was the strangest thing for me because for one I taught in that particular teachers' room instead of the music/art/science/orchestra room where I will be teaching 2 times a week. It was almost like starting as a brand new teacher all over again. Lucky for me the kids were tired, so they were very well behaved for the last class at the end of the first day. I had no idea the first day of Kindergarten was so crazy for the teachers and students. They have to learn everything from scratch. The more I learn about K teachers, the more I have to admire them! I can't wait to be in the multi-room, as it will do wonders for my choices in lesson planning. (I forgot to say I'm in the other room because the art/ music rooms had black mold problems and were quarantined. They won't be ready until the end of next week :(

Meanwhile, I stayed at my travel school until 7pm! Even though I won't be in the room for a week, I can't teach there knowing the decor is drab. So I apparently spent a good deal of time redoing the bullitin boards, laminating, cutting, stapeling etc etc. The room looks much better, and I'm sure the art teacher (who travels like me from my school) will spruce it up herself as well. I'm so wired I can't even relax. I hope I can sleep well tonight.

Btw did I mention my goals this year are to find new and exciting methods for especially teaching the younger kiddos, espeically K. I also plan to have at least 4 concerts this year, hold a club in the fall, teach at camp again, and tutor in the spring? I want to emmerse myself as much as possible. Don't forget I have choir on Mondays (when it starts), turbo kickbox, skeet with my Dad (for a little longer), and Weekends Only. Yeah I'm probably crazy, but I need to keep my mind off some things and just be busy, busy, busy. It's what I do best: taking on more than any normal human being should. Ironically I work better that way (maybe that's why I'm so lazy in the summer? :)

No comments: