Thursday, August 04, 2005

I thank you God

We sang this song in choir last year, and it happened to show up in an email from beliefnet. I thought I'd share it here. Whenever poetry is set to music, it just doesn't seem the same without the song behind it. Guess that's the music person in me.

Thank You for This Amazing Day

i thank You God for most this amazing
day: for the leaping greenly spirits of trees
and a blue true dream of sky; and for everything
which is natural which is infinite which is yes

(i who have died am alive again today,
and this is the sun’s birthday; this is the birth
day of life and love and wings: and of the gay
great happening illimitably earth)

how should tasting touching hearing seeing
breathing any-lifted from the no
of all nothing-human merely being
doubt unimaginably You?

(now the ears of my ears awake and
now the eyes of my eyes are opened)

- e. e. cummings

1 comment:

Muse said...

I guess the people who read my site may not like the poetry posts? I hear very little about what I post vs. say other sites which either have original poetry or others on them. Oh well.