Monday, April 11, 2005

Today's Devotion

I bought a little book a year or so ago, and I keep it in my desk at school. It’s called “God’s Promises for Every Day.” It has various Bible verses listed in a way to help you find what you might be needing that day. “What to do when you are…” is one category for instance. Yesterday’s sermon at church was about the church being a school, to teach you about Christianity with the Bible being the textbook. It really hit home when Matt said, “Isn’t it great to know that every answer that you ever need in your life is in the Bible? Don’t you want to go home and scour the pages to find the answers you are looking for? Why is it that we are so reluctant to get into the Word, when all the answers are there waiting to be found?”

Today at school I found myself feeling down as usual. I don’t know what it is about the mornings before school and the evenings after school, but until I’m busy with teaching/ when I’m done, I’m just ‘down’ all the time. It’s really irritating to me. I think it’s because my exercising is on hiatus and I miss it.

So today I had a little bit of free time while the students were completing some music reading worksheets, and then at lunch today. These were the verses that hit home for me right now. I’m sure this entry will be long, but you or I could then reference it whenever needed in the future.

Jesus is Your Love

Dear friends, we should love each other, because love comes from God. Everyone who loves has become God’s child and knows God. Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love. This is how God showed his love to us: He sent his one and only Son into the world so that we could have life through him. This is what real love is: it is not our love for God; it is God’s love for us in sending his Song to be the way to take away our sins. Dear friends, if God loved us that much we should also love each other. No one has ever seen God, but if we love each other, god lives in us, and his love is mad perfect in us. 1 John 4:7-12

And so we know the love that God has for us, and we trust that love. God is love. Those who live in love live in God, and God lives in them. We love because God first loved us. 1 John 4:16,19

I pray that Christ will live in your hearts by faith and that your life will be strong in love and be built on love. And I pray that you and all God’s holy people will have the power to understand the greatness of Christ’s love- how wide and how long and how high and how deep that love is. Christ’s love is greater than anyone can ever know, but I pray that you will be able to know that love. Then you can be filled with the fullness of God. Ephesians 3:17-19

The Lord shows his true love every day. At night I have a song, and I pray to my living God. Psalm 42:8

What to Do When You Feel Lonely:

So don’t worry, because I am with you. Don’t be afraid, because I am your God. I will make you strong and will help you; I will support you with my right hand that saves you. Isaiah 41:10

Jesus said, “Don’t let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God, and trust in me.” John 14:1

The everlasting God is your place of safety, and his arms will hold you up forever. He will force your enemy out ahead of you, saying, “Destroy the enemy!” Deuteronomy 33:27

He heals the broken hearted and bandages their wounds. Psalm 147:3

Be strong and be brave. Don’t be afraid of them and don’t be frightened, because the Lord your god will go with you. He will not leave you or forget you. Deuteronomy 31:6

Give all your worries to him, because he cares about you. 1 Peter 5:7

God is our protection and our strength. He always helps in times of trouble. Psalm 46:1

What to Do When You Feel Depressed:

My friends, do not be surprised at the terrible trouble which now comes to test you. Do not think that something strange is happening to you. But be happy that you are sharing in Christ’s sufferings so that you will be happy and full of joy when Christ comes again in glory. 1 Peter 4:12-13

But the people who trust the Lord will become strong again. They will rise up as an eagle in the sky; they will run and not need rest; they will walk and not become tired. Isaiah 40:31

Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. God is the Father who is full of mercy and all comfort. He comforts us every time we have trouble, so when others have trouble, we can comfort them with the same comfort God gives us. 2 Corinthians 1:3-4

Be humble under God’s powerful hand so he will lift you up when the right time comes. Give all your worries to him, because he cares about you. 1 Peter 5:6-7


These are all uplifting verses to help those in uncertain times. Reading them and then also typing them again, helped to lift my spirits today. It’s not that I’m necessarily ‘down.’ I just feel ‘not myself’ sometimes, like I’m really missing something inside. Perhaps it’s God, perhaps it’s something else, maybe both. Who knows? Stay tuned as I’ll include more of the verses I read today for the rest of the week. It’s just too much to write for one entry.

No comments: