Saturday, July 09, 2005

Habitat for Humanity

Well today was my first experience as a worker for Habitat for Humanity. We worked on house #11 in Hillsdale area of St. Louis. I helped haul in sheets for the roof, applied clips to the joists/rafters (I think that's what they're called) of the roof. I put on styrofoam insulation (that was most of my day) around the house, assisted with door and window insulation, and helped with cleaning up random scraps at the end of the day. During my first 'mission' I noticed a huge problem with alignment of the clips on the opposite side I was working on, and helped saved the house from an alignment disaster :) Overall it was a very good experience. I felt like I was doing something for the community rather than lounging around on my normal Saturday routine. You should try it some time. You learn a ton about home construction, and you can be as experienced or not in order to participate. Best of all you help less fortunate families to have a place to call home. :)

No comments: