Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Outdoor Candy Sales in 91 degrees

Well today was quite the interesting day. I woke up to the sound of my alarm clock buzzing, to then the sound of people knocking on the door to drop off my replacment chest dresser. As I watched them move the furniture, I realized why it was damaged to begin with. They open the drawers to move the items easier, at which point probably broke the already weak (in manufacturing?) cross beam. Tommorow the service person is coming by to replace the tiny plastic thing missing on the dresser, and see if the scratches on the night stand are repairable.

Anyway, after attempting to sleep in longer, I prepared for my work with iCandy, Inc. I was so anxious that I forgot my cellphone and the info paper to the point of having to twice return to my place of orgin. UMB Bank Pavillion is apparently much closer to my house than originally thought, so that was good. I had absolutely no trouble asking about employee parking, and getting in the employee gate without so much as a badge, t-shirt, or list (which they should have had a list) to verify my intent. As I walked toward concessions, I admired the scores of people rocking away to various bands located around the perimeter of the Pavillion. Definitely interesting, I thought.

I arrive at my location, with my food bag and water (THANK GOD I brought that at least, although we do get free drinks and discounted food which is nice). They hand me a t-shirt and set up my tray. I then proceed to attempt to sell candy on a hot, sunny day that is St. Louis. The first half hour I sold a whole $19 worth. Somehow I then managed to only sell $31 in candy for the rest of the day (unless somehow I miscounted somewhere in there, or some was swiped when I wasn't looking). So from 330-830 (900ish) I managed to sell a mere $50 in candy. How sad, I thought! No tips, and barely any commission. Apparently it was a bad day for candy, this is what ALL the vendors said. Normally it's easier since most people are condensed they say, but this go round, people were all over for the concerts. The worst vendor sales was 1 candy bar for 3 hours (WOW!), and the best was the professional at $235 in sales. (Seriously, what is his secret, the scary, old guy look? We couldn't figure it out. I even watched him as I passed and he wasn't doing anything special I thought.) Anyway they asked me on for Friday, which wasn't on the original schedule. Since I have no money to do anything (and I can't go see Over the Rhine because of it :(( I agreed to work to give it another try (maybe).

In the meantime I need some super-duper vending skill suggestions if you have them. Also I'm looking for another job for the summer (to possibly continue on as pt during the school year). Thus far I've applied to: Home Depot, Fragrances, Cosmetics at Galleria and Chesterfield Mall, and I'm going to attempt to get more information about the Gateway Arch positions (I'm booked July 4th weekend so that would be out if it's for Fair St. Louis.) Wish me luck in my vending sales, and finding another job if that doesn't work out!

No comments: