Monday, May 09, 2005

Ich Trage Meine Minne

Today I was randomly going through my 'long lost' collection of art songs. I was strolling down memory lane, and happened upon this song. I performed it during my Senior Recital, and if I could make my VHS, digital I would, that way you could hear it. The words are much more menaingful with the song (in my opinion). I'm not sure why but I relate most to German and French music. German, however, definitely beats the cake when it comes to Lieder. Yummy! I miss voice lessons :(
Ich Trage Meine Minne

Karl Henckell poem
Richard Strauss music

Ich trage meine Minne vor Wonne stumm
im Herzen und im Sinne mit mir herum.
Ja, daß ich dich gefunden, du liebes Kind,
das freut mich alle Tage, die mir beschieden sind.

Und ob auch der Himmel trübe, kohlschwarz die Nacht,
hell leuchtet meiner Liebe goldsonnige Pracht.
Und lügt auch die Welt in Sünden, so tut mir's weh,
die arge muß erblinden vor deiner Unschuld Schnee.

---

I carry my love, mute with rapture,
In my heart and my mind wherever I go.
Yes, our encounter, dearest one,
Cheers through all the days alloted to me.

Though skies are grim, And jet-black is the night,
Brightly shines my love's sun-like splendour.
And though deceitful is the sinful world, and it grieves me,
Its wretchedness will be blinded by your snow-like innocence.

(Translations by W. Lyman and K. Maunsbach)

No comments: