Saturday, November 26, 2011

Cleansing

So D is moving in today. She should be here any minute. I then realize there are a few 'last minute' items I have yet to move or cleanse from the house. I came across some objects that made me just think about life's happenings. Some of the objects, I held onto because they were attached to another person. Seriously, I'm holding on to a burnt out seashell candle I gave someone on their birthday because? I have a receipt for an ipod shuffle that is lost in hyperspace why? Why am I holding on to computer games that are so out of date, but then were my biggest craze back in the day ... i.e. The Sims, Lemmings. I have Magic the Gathering cards from freshman year in college that haven't been used for 15 years.... A broken zippered coat with paint on it from TSU.

It kinda puts a hoarders life in perspective. I'm not a hoarder, but I think it's kinda funny some of these things are there simply because I probably ran out of time while moving. I just threw them in a box, and then they ended up in a forgotten place until it was time to move things again. Some things I have because I'm not ready to give up the memories or maybe I think they'll be useful again. Maybe I'm just not ready to take the time to throw out everything all at the same time because I have better things to do.

I've gone through my clothes knowing full well that some things I'm keeping because I'm not ready to give up yet. I've found boxes of papers that I'm keeping because you never know when they could be useful. (4 years later I did need something I saved incidentally.)

I guess this junk is just a reflection of how by human nature sometimes we have to shove things aside just to move forward. We have boxes of memories of emotions that are still there waiting to be let go or fondly revisited when the time is right. So in trying to move forward we have to either rearrange, add a new perspective, or just delete things to make room for the new happenings. Experiences are what make us who we are, but it can take a lot of time and effort to make sense of it all to really truly be free again for whatever comes next.

No comments: