Saturday, July 22, 2006

No electricity!

I'm sitting at my parents' house writing this blog for those who still have access to the Internet. For those of you not living in St. Louis, you might not be aware that we were hit with 2 major storm systems, the likes of which haven't been recorded for over 150 years so they say.

My subdivision in North County area looked like a war zone when I returned home from work on Wednesday night. I have no electricity, and there is nothing in my fridge because it's all been removed. Other than a zillion trees limbs and twigs, I luckily did not sustain any material damages. We were hit with yet another storm affecting mostly St. Charles and the North St. Louis area again on Friday. I was in the middle of getting a much delayed and needed chiropractic treatment when they lost power.

My only link to the 'outside world' is my cell phone, coworkers, and listening to KMOX 1120 am while in the car. It is estimated that while some have restored power, there are still 400,000 homes without electricity, at an estimated 2.5 million people.

I hope I can once again enjoy the modern convienances of life soon. Currently I'm at my parents' doing laundry because I won't have anything to wear for work if I don't. They are in South County and had power restored Friday. Incidently I left work earlier today to get it done or I'd be out of 'work' clothes.

On another note, I went to the the Journey/ Def Leopard concert last night. It was an awesome sold out show and we all braved the formidable sky despite the possiblity of another storm. I've also gotten back to my 'reading roots' as I've had nothing to two without electricity. All I can say is thank God I camp and have a camping light fan combo. Wal-mart is totally out of all useful electric camping supplies. I had to have a friend buy batteries in Chesterfield because no one in my area as power. It's pretty crazy. Nothing like waiting at McD's for 40 minutes just to eat! I've never seen fast food places so busy until recently. I guess at least I can cook on the stove (gas stove), and I hear the boil order is off in my area so the water is safe now.

No comments: